dearest all,
As of the beginning of June 2011, I am no longer posting to this blog. It will stand as a record of my time in Iceland, sure, but if you want something that is getting updated, head on over to the small blue cat.
best,
eric

older posts

know that i am well.

i feel fine, but it would appear that my teeth have swollen up a bit
it is very strange.
but really, that is just nasty old clay in my mouth.

i went swimming a few days ago, it was very nice. some things worth noting: it was around 19ยบ F and the pool is outdoors. the pool was quite warm, the air: not so much- it made for a very interesting and enjoyable swimming experience. i think it is a good idea to be outside and nearly naked when the temperature is below freezing. hot tubs post swimming gave me a nice [though temporary] heat jacket that lasted long enough to make it back to the locker rooms. [i think my favorite part was seeing old guys running around on the pool deck.]

here's an update on the current work. the other six are getting ready to be bisque fired [probably starting today. neat!]

those curvy things plug into his forehead.
i like the think of them as antlers
here is an alternate view.
i am pretty sure that i am close to being finished with this current series of wall pieces. [well, finished with the first step anyway- there is a lot to be done post firing.] 
the reason i bring it up is because i did a few pieces yesterday that behaved vary differently. here goes:


i'd start with something like this
 i was feeling as if i was being too controlled in my technique- not really letting the clay do weird clay things- not really pushing my luck with the material, so i decided to take something that was decent but really quite boring and stretch it way out nearly beyond recognition, and then bring it back to some semblance of the original. retrieved from the brink of destruction if you will.
and it would end up more like this,
unless i accidentally just destroyed it
 it was great fun, and the resultant expressions and textures are lickably unsettling. the degradation of surface and features is pretty nice to look at, to feel. [though from the teeth gag above, i wouldn't really recommend the licking. stuff tastes like dirt.]

here are the three that made it back from the cusp of oblivion. there were others who did not fare so well.
it is nice to incorporate my natural tendency to destroy my own work into my working practice. [although i have yet to figure out why i like to break things that i make. it is great fun. i used to call it vicarious self destruction, but that sounds like i am depressed or something.]
no ears? that is a bummer

i accidentally [?] pushed my thumb
through his nose. whoops.
well, that is all i have for today, i think.
quasidestructively yours,
eric

4 comments:

  1. I think you have a little something in your teeth. I'm only telling you because I hate it when I am walking around all day with something in my teeth and no one tells me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is all so gross... and great.

    btw, art is nice to look at but my favorite post so far is about the groceries. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you need a dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eric- i feel really bad for the guy with no ears..i hope he makes it though..

    on a side note, i was wondering what you were up to april 23 to may 8, i have a break and would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete